Monday, August 05, 2024

Catching Up on Day 1 of the Pilgrimage/Conference Adventure

(Sorry it's taken me a bit longer to start posting than I anticipated. The first leg of the adventure was a walking pilgrimage across Kent, so WiFi was understandably hard to come by sometimes. Even here in Oxford it's spotty, so I'll have to post a bit at a time, but I'll try to make it daily.)

Day 1: Stopping in at the village churches of my Burden ancestors!

Borden (likely where the Burdens
lived some 900 years ago)


Interior of the Borden church
(exterior below)


Church of St Peter & St Paul, Borden
(tower goes back to earliest construction)

Now in Headcorn, where the Burdens lived
from about 1300 until emigrating to North America 

The Headcorn church, coincidentally
also named in honor of Peter and Paul

Interior of the Headcorn church 

That's it for now. I'll upload a photo log of my second day tomorrow. I'm posting from a cell phone rather than a computer, so any longform written reflections, which you might justly have expected of me, will have to wait till my return.