Note to Readers: My historical fiction novel Prester John and the Brigand King is once again available to read in full. Just click on the novel's title in the "Full Series" menu on the sidebar.

Monday, June 12, 2017

Quote of the Week

Near the end of C. S. Lewis' novel The Silver Chair (book 4 of The Chronicles of Narnia), the heroes of the story are trapped in the underground kingdom of a wicked Queen, who is trying to convince them that all their beliefs in the land above, including Aslan himself (the God/Christ figure) are merely fancies of their imagination. The response to this, given by the character Puddleglum, was a great encouragement to me during my phase of wrestling through agnosticism and doubt, and so I include it here:


"Suppose we have only dreamed, or made up, all these things--trees and grass and sun and moon and stars and Aslan himself. Suppose we have. Then all I can say is that, in that case, the made-up things seem a good deal more important than the real ones. Suppose this black pit of a kingdom of yours is the only world. Well, it strikes me as a pretty poor one. And that's a funny thing, when you come to think of it. We're just babies making up a game, if you're right. But four babies playing a game can make a play-world which licks your real world hollow. That's why I'm going to stand by the play-world. I'm on Aslan's side even if there isn't any Aslan to lead it. I'm going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn't any Narnia. So, thanking you kindly [...] we're leaving your court at once and setting out in the dark to spend our lives looking for Overland."

(Painting: "Two Majesties," by Jean-Léon Gérôme, 1883)

No comments: