Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Walking the Bridge

God, grant me calm reflection
          In the midst of all my busyness.
A string of tasks stretches out before me
Like a long and narrow bridge
          Over turbulent waters
                    Which I must dare to cross.
Shrouded in fog lies the other side;
          I cannot see where it will end,
                   Nor even if it will.
Give me strength to cross this bridge,
          One step at a time,
And in the crossing not to let
          The wind above or waves below,
          Nor the length of my progress,
                   Steal my eyes from Thee.
May my steps not falter into old weaknesses,
          Nor be stopped by stark adversity.
But carry me gently, faithfully,
          In the patient practice
                    Of diligent obedience.
In all my tasks, Lord, great and small,
          Make Thyself great in me.
                                              Amen.