Friday, June 07, 2019

Hymn of the Week: When I Am Weary

My new hymn this week is inspired by the Apostle Paul's reflections on God's strength and sufficiency being present in his own weaknesses (2 Cor. 12:9). It's set to the 19th-century Gaelic tune "Bunessan," most famously associated with the song "Morning Has Broken."

When I Am Weary

When I am weary, when I am broken,
I rest my spirit in Your embrace.
I am upheld by all You have spoken:
Rivers of new life, riches of grace!

Lord, let Your holy promises fill me
With all that I need here in this day;
May Your Word always teach me Your mercy,
Send me with courage into the fray.

I may be empty, but in my weakness
I find Your mercy working through me.
Your strength is perfect when I am pow'rless,
Your grace sufficient, endless, and free.

Praises and glory, ever and always,
Be to Your holy name evermore!
Praise in my weakness, praise in my trials,
For my completeness comes from You, Lord.