Friday, March 01, 2019

Hymn of the Week: How Long, O Lord? (Psalm 13)

My new hymn is probably unlikely to catch on anywhere, partly because it's a lament (not the most popular genre) and partly because I wrote the music for it. It's a fairly faithful transposition of the text of Psalm 13 into hymn form, using the laments of 13:1-4 for the verses and the hopeful resolution of 13:5-6 for the repeated refrain. This is the first piece for which I've ever composed the music, so it's a very modest effort, but I think it fits the hymn well enough. I hope you enjoy it, or at least find it lamentable.😉

How Long, O Lord? (Psalm 13)

How long, O Lord, will you forget
And turn away from me?
How long before your countenance
Will turn in grace to me?

     (Refrain):
     Yet I have trusted in your love;
     I rejoice in you, Lord!
     For you have dealt so bountifully
     With those who follow your Word.

How long must all my days be weighed
With sorrow's heavy load?
How long must I search out my heart,
Not knowing where to go?

     (Refrain)

How long must I in failure fall,
While all my enemies 
Make triumph over my distress
In hate and mockery?

     (Refrain)