Note to My Readers: from mid-June to mid-August (6/18 - 8/20), I will be taking a summer break from posting new articles for my Thursday and Friday slots. This will only affect my Thursday series on the global growth of Christianity, and my Friday series, the "Theological Bestiary" of birds, both of which will resume in late August. During the summer, I'll be dusting off some of my best essays from the first few years of this blog (a decade ago), as well as my verse play "Thus Ends the World," and re-posting them in the Thursday and Friday slots. All other weekdays will continue to feature new material throughout the summer.

Saturday, September 10, 2016

Saturday Synaxis


Protect, O Lord, those who cry to thee for help. Uphold us in our weakness, and cleanse us from our earthliness: and, while we walk in this dying life amidst the shadows of death, do thou ever quicken us with thy light. Vouchsafe in thy mercy to deliver us from all evil, so that we may come to the perfection of all good at last
                   - Leo the Great

No comments: