Note to My Readers: from mid-June to mid-August (6/18 - 8/20), I will be taking a summer break from posting new articles for my Thursday and Friday slots. This will only affect my Thursday series on the global growth of Christianity, and my Friday series, the "Theological Bestiary" of birds, both of which will resume in late August. During the summer, I'll be dusting off some of my best essays from the first few years of this blog (a decade ago), as well as my verse play "Thus Ends the World," and re-posting them in the Thursday and Friday slots. All other weekdays will continue to feature new material throughout the summer.

Wednesday, July 26, 2017

The Evangeliad (1:77-81)



And you, my child, a prophet shall be,
Announcing a holy theophany,
Going before and preparing the way
For he who is coming to love and to save.

Salvation's dawning! Yes, this you'll proclaim:
Forgiveness of sins in God's holy name.
He is our mercy, and in His sweet grace,
God's own compassion shall brighten our ways. 

God cares for us! He appears from on high,
Shining on those who in shadow do lie,
Breaking death's darkness and setting our feet
On pathways that lead us into his peace."

The young prophet grew, Spirit-empowered,
Awaiting the advent of God's chosen hour.
He dwelt in the desert up till the day
When he was sent out to ready the way. 

No comments: