Note to My Readers: from mid-June to mid-August (6/18 - 8/20), I will be taking a summer break from posting new articles for my Thursday and Friday slots. This will only affect my Thursday series on the global growth of Christianity, and my Friday series, the "Theological Bestiary" of birds, both of which will resume in late August. During the summer, I'll be dusting off some of my best essays from the first few years of this blog (a decade ago), as well as my verse play "Thus Ends the World," and re-posting them in the Thursday and Friday slots. All other weekdays will continue to feature new material throughout the summer.

Wednesday, July 05, 2017

The Evangeliad (1:47-56)

 
And Mary said, "My soul doth magnify
The endless Lord of earth and sea and sky;
And my spirit takes joy in God my King,
The Maker and Savior of everything!
 
He has looked on his servant's low estate;
Now he raises her up with wonders great--
So all generations will call me blessed;
The wonders he has done I here profess: 

Oh, mighty is he, and holy his name,
His mercy is boundless, ever the same,
For those who believe and follow his ways--
Now and through all of eternity's days.

With his strong right arm he has conquered all
And brought down the proud unto ruin's fall;
Overthrown has he the high, haughty kings,
And has crowned the lowly with lovely things.

The hungering ones he has filled full up,
But has left for the rich an empty cup;
He has helped, as he promised, Israel:
To Abraham's seed he is merciful!"

No comments: