A Note to My Readers -
I've decided to remove my Sunday posts from the weekly cycle. Although I hope they've been of benefit to some of you, they are necessarily secondary to my regular work of sermon preparation each week. I've found that having that extra post to write simply added to the burden of my work. For those readers who would still like access to my weekly work in Scriptural exposition, I would ask them to access the podcasts of my sermons (available through a link in the sidebar), since that remains the primary form of my Bible teaching each week.

Wednesday, April 26, 2017

The Evangeliad (1:1-5)


Section 1:1-5 (corresponding to John 1:1-5)


That Word, which all eternal, vast, and true,
Did dwell in ageless glory none could view:
At dawn of time he was, for he must be;
And was with God, in joint aseity.

This selfsame Word was God, in unity,
And with God did this Word’s divinity
Exist before all worlds, in ageless bliss,
Aflame with undivided holiness.

By his own hand the universe was born,
And endless space stretched out, and stars were born;
No thing existing now has come to be
Except by that Word’s own authority.

He is, himself, of life the fountainhead;
Life’s source and cause, beginning and its end.
His life illumines mankind from within:
The light of men, unshadowed by our sin.

Into our darkness shone that gracious light,
Lavish and strong, immeasurably bright;
And we, in darkest shame, we hid our eyes:
Our life, our light, we did not recognize.

No comments: